25 May 2006

Working For The Man

I have been busy.

I can't say I'm working for the man...my jobs aren't really soul selling jobs. No traditional hours. 3 days a week is HR, the other two days at a record company. I enjoy them both - one is great work, the other great people. Working is exhausting. Doesn't matter if its running errands, sitting in front of a computer, or stuffing mailings. All of it drains me. Commuting is no cake walk either. It is no walk in the park. It is a walk up and down the stairs, a walk to stuff yourself into a musty subway car full of people that don't want to be around you as much as you don't want to be around them. I can't imagine how I would work in a real 9-5. Or an 11-8 (record company). Or an 8-7 (HR). It makes me wonder if work is actually any better than school. Long hours or no homework? It's 50-50, I think.

Lately my entertainment in lieu of the ipod has been reading How We Are Hungry. Dave Eggers is a little crazy. Sometimes I think he may write things that don't make sense just so people can think they know what they are talking about. Then after you feel your way through his metaphors and descriptions it automatically becomes your favorite because it makes you feel like you've accomplished something.

"She wanted to rub herself in bananas. She wanted to open umbrellas into the faces of cats, make them scurry and scream...She pictured his penis flying across the room and into her, and then shooting in and out. His head on the wall, mounted."

That is smart.
he is ridiculous. I like it.



GOD: I own you like I own the caves.
THE OCEAN: Not a chance. No comparison
GOD: I made you. I could tame you.
THE OCEAN: At one time, maybe. But not now.
GOD: I will come to you, freeze you, break you.
THE OCEAN: I will spread myself like wings. I am a billion tiny feathers. You have no idea what's happened to me.

No comments:

can't stop... won't stop