14 April 2006

Wolf Parade


IMG_6315
Originally uploaded by Crackers United.


I saw Wolf Parade on Monday night.

Holy Fuck opened and they were great. Beans came on and did about 30 sec of freestyling before he got pissed because of the microphone (it was pretty shitty) and left. They're from Toronto, a lovely city really, and are the kind of band that dances to their own music. It was fun. One of the guys in the middle was also playing some negatives?... at least that's what it looked like.

Bensard Lakes (the second opener) couldn't make it over the border, so the French Kicks came instead. It was a surprise to basically everyone and judging by the response, I'd say that Wolf Parade and French Kicks fans don't mix so well. They reminded me of the Walkmen except... better. The music was hard to dance to.

Then came Wolf Parade. They played basically every song they have and even a few new ones. I have to disagree with some others that say they only have two good songs. If I can dance to it and it doesn't make me want to shred my brains, I think it's good enough. And I like Wolf Parade! Anyway, they came on stage and a few songs in, the drummer broke the high hat. They shredded through everything. Drum sticks, maracas, tambourines. Everything was broken. Spencer sweats. A LOT. I finally get the meaning of Angus' line in the great movie, Angus, "I don't sweat, I rain." Spencer rains.

In the end the band disappeared for a while and the Webster Hall workers wouldn't give away as much as a shred of drum stick. Alas, I have nothing to show you from that sweaty night. This guy, however, has some cool pictures. As does the rest of flickr.


I have so much work to do, it's not even worth laughing about. And I'm 20 next week!

1 comment:

M. Kirstin S. said...

I can agree with the argument that decent and doesn't-make-me-want-to-shed-my-brains means good, I guess I was just in a mood that decided decent wasn't good enough. I got some hawt dancin'z in, too, so not too shabby, WP.

can't stop... won't stop